ShoeSchool.com

Frequently Asked Questions

Workshops

Theater

Library

Supplies

Equipment

Press

Contact Us

Schedule

Registration

FAQ's

Photo Gallery

Downloads

Links

Return to Homepage

These are the most Frequently Asked Questions regarding:

ShoeSchool Workshops:

Tools, Equipment, Supplies:

Location, Travel & Accommodations:

 

 

Who Is the Workshop For ?

COMPANY EXECUTIVES

Company Executives from non-shoemaking backgrounds who need a basic appreciation of footwear design and construction techniques.

SALES & DESIGN STAFF

Sales and design staff who could make use of practical skills and knowledge.

RETAIL & DISTRIBUTION STAFF

Staff in retail and distribution centers who need a basic understanding of the process and technology of shoemaking.

NEW TO FOOTWEAR INDUSTRY

New entrants to the footwear industry who need an introduction to the technology and process.

MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS

Medical professionals working in related fields such as Podiatry, Sports Medicine, Physical Therapy, Chiropractic.

STUDENTS OF FASHION / DESIGN / RETAIL

Students in fashion design and retail merchandising can benefit from a basic knowledge of footwear manufacturing techniques.

ANYONE INTERESTED IN MAKING FOOTWEAR

Anyone interested in gaining first hand experience in designing and hand crafting a pair of shoes from start to finish.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

Who Has Attended ShoeSchool ?

Examples of the Individuals :

Orthopedic Surgeon, Atlanta
Campus Security Officer, San Diego
Barber, Alaska
Jewelry Designer, San Francisco
CPA, Reno
Medical Doctor, Paris, France
Retired Chemist, Oklahoma
Costume Designer, Albuquerque
Sports Medicine Doctor, Boston
Computer Programmer, Japan
Certified Pedorthist, Seattle
Shoe Designer, Rome, Italy
Fashion Designer, New York
Wedding Shoe Craftsman, Hawaii
Attorney, New York
Commercial Banker, Washington D.C.
Museum Editor, Ann Arbor
Shoe Factory Owner, Maine
Professional Waiter, Portland
Sculptor, Chicago
Shoe Repair Shop Owner, Oregon
Retired Mad Scientist, Washington

.... and others....

Corporate Students Include:

Lands' End
L.L. Bean
Eddie Bauer
Merrell Boot
W.L. Gore
R 3D Reasearch (Brazil)
National Institute of Standards
Dayton Hudson
Ferragamo
Adidas
Robeez
Gymboree

.... and others ....

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

 

Requirements of Participants

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS

No prior experience of any kind is required to participate in the "Introduction to Shoemaking"
"Introduction to the Business of Shoemaking".

Advanced programs require a basic working knowledge of footwear construction, or apparel design, or successful completion of the "Introduction to Shoemaking".


Each individual that comes to the workshop will bring with them various skills and experience of design and hand crafting in many mediums such as fibers, wood, metal or leather.

During the workshop sessions we will have ample opportunity to share and exchange the ideas, special skills and experiences that each student brings with them.

The "Introduction to Shoemaking" programs are designed to give a basic overview of the entire process of hand crafting footwear from concept to completion, and to have a positive and fun experience making shoes.

POSITIVE ATTITUDE

The most important requirement is a positive attitude, and the understanding that, during a few days in the workshop is a very limited time to develop all the skills required to make perfectly hand crafted footwear.

The shoes you make during to workshop will be made to fit your own feet. They will be a classic shoe pattern that will give you a solid foundation to explore your own creative designs in the future.

The objective of the workshop is to concentrate on the subject matter being taught, as well as successfully completing all the operations for this first pair of shoes, on your own.

When you leave you take the knowledge, the personal experience and your completed shoes with you.

Hopefully, you will return home and continue to make footwear....

When you need assistance a staff member will be there to help.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

 

What are the Fees and What Do They Include ?

5 Day "Introduction to Shoemaking" includes:

5 Days of Hands-On Instruction
Leather & Components to Make Your Shoes
Use of Our Hand Tool Kit
Student Handbook with Contacts for Suppliers
Access to Library of Resource Materials

Lunch at the Workshop ( Daily )
Dinner at Local Restaurants
( Nightly )


3 Day "Introduction to the Business of Shoemaking" includes:

3 Days of Private Instruction & Consulting
Leather & Components to Make Your Sample Shoe
Access to Library of Resource Materials

Hotel, Meals & Transportation are Not Included with This Program or the Advanced Workshops.

 

 

For Current Fee Schedule and Details contact ShoeSchool

eMail:

Registration

Phone:

360.385.6164

Pacific Coast Time Zone

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

What Do the Students Say About the Workshops ?

"I have a new appreciation of the complexity of footwear and in particular- custom shoes."

Susan, Chicago

"Excellent Course Layout and execution."

Ed, San Diego

"The atmosphere was positive and easy going, which makes a good environment for learning."

Gigi, Washington

"Excellent Course, I learned a lot of useful information for my job."

Tracy, Maryland

"At long last my website is up and running. These last few months have been busier than I thought possible; wholesale orders are growing, retail orders by word of mouth are growing, and soon I hope the Internet sales will keep me even busier."

"I just wanted to thank you again for all your help in getting me started in the shoe industry."

"I am extremely grateful for all the information you generously provided and will never forget how you have changed my life."

Shoua, San Francisco

"Enjoyed the Last Resort ! "

Sally, Ann Arbor

"I gained more than a fundamental understanding of shoemaking... key factors on fit and the foot, too ! "

Elaine, Maine

"Work ? I thought this was Art...."

Loretta, South Carolina

"Shoes and Salmon, The Best ! "

Jane, St. Louis

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

When Are the Introductory Workshops Scheduled ?

"The Introduction to Shoemaking" 5 Day Workshop is offered 3-4 Times each year. We will add extra sessions when these programs are filled.

"The Introduction to the Business of Shoemaking"
3 Day Workshop is a Private Consulting Program that is offered several times each year.

This program is Customized to the Project of the Individual, and can be scheduled to take place at a mutually convenient time.

 

Check a Current Schedule for Workshop Dates

Link to Schedule

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

When Are the Advanced Classes ?

"The Advanced Shoemaking Workshops"
are Private Consulting Programs that are Customized to the Project of the Individual, and can be scheduled to take place at a mutually convenient time.

Advanced programs require a basic working knowledge of footwear construction, or apparel design, or successful completion of the "Introduction to Shoemaking".

 

To Schedule an Advanced
Training Program

Send eMail :

Registration

Phone:

360.385.6164

Pacific Coast Time Zone

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

How Do I Register ?

Step 1.

Go to the Registration Page and Download an Application for the Workshop or Program you would like to attend.

Step 2.

Contact ShoeSchool to confirm the Fees and Dates for your program.

Step 3.

Fill out the Application, sign and send it along with your deposit to ShoeSchool.

Step 4.

Upon receipt of the Application and Deposit ShoeSchool will reserve the facilities.

 

To Register for a Workshop

Send eMail :

Registration

Phone:

360.385.6164

Pacific Coast Time Zone

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

What Types of Tools & Equipment Will I Be Using at ShoeSchool ?

"Introduction to Shoemaking"
Basic Hand Tools will be used by the Students to design and make a complete pair of shoes. The use of a complete hand tool kit is included with the Lab Fee for the workshop. With a detailed list of tools and suppliers the student can return home, purchase the tools of their choice and continue forward with their shoemaking projects.

There will be demonstrations of the specialized equipment at ShoeSchool. Students will have the opportunity to see how each machine is used in the Shoemaking Process.

Before you can operate a machine you need to understand how to perform the same task using hand tools.

"Introduction to the Business of Shoemaking"
The focus of this program is the Business Aspects of Shoemaking.

You will observe a Master Craftsman making a shoe from start to finish, using Hand Tools & Machines, including demonstrations of specialized equipment required in the Shoemaking Process.

"Advanced Shoemaking Workshops"
This program is designed for the individual that would like to learn to operate and maintain the specialized sewing and other machines used for Leather Craft, Shoemaking and Shoe Repair.

 

ShoeSchool Hand Tool Kit is made up of more than 25 Basic and Essential Tools used for Leather Craft & Shoemaking

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

How Do I Order Shoe Lasts ?


We Do Not Sell Shoe Lasts at ShoeSchool
__________________________

You can purchase a CD Digital Publication "Developing Shoe Last Collections".

The First Section of the publication covers all the basic information you will need to understand, before you can purchase shoe lasts, no matter where you may choose to buy them.

 

 

 

We Do Not Sell Shoe Lasts

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

Where is ShoeSchool Located ?

ShoeSchool is located in Port Townsend, Washington, on the scenic Olympic Peninsula, approximately 2 hours from Seattle.

Port Townsend is a Victorian Seaport Village on the Puget Sound, surrounded by spectacular mountain and water views. The Victorian Architecture is a popular tourist attraction, with many bed & breakfast inns, interesting galleries and restaurants.

Many people that come to ShoeSchool take advantage of the opportunity to make an adventure of their trip to Washington by shopping in Seattle, visiting the Olympic Rain Forest, or taking a Ferry to Victoria B.C.

For complete details concerning Travel and Accommodations in Port Townsend and the Olympic Peninsula, go to Links & Resources.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

ShoeSchool Philosophy Statement

Shoe School.comis dedicated to:

The preservation, sharing, and furthering of the knowledge and skills related to the Ancient Art & Craft of Handmade Footwear.

Providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and a vehicle for learning the skills required, from Masters of the Trade.

In the Modern World we face the issues of limited resources, while sustaining the environment with the products we design and produce.

Re-Cycling, Re-Use and Re-Manufacturing, will be major factors in the business successes of the future.

Ancient Techniques and Modern Technology can mutually benefit each other when properly balanced and applied.

 

 

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

 

Schedule / Registration / FAQ,s / Photo Gallery / Links / Short Stories

Workshops / Theater / Library / Supplies / Equipment

Brochure Downloads / Press / Contact Us

Return to Homepage

Site Map

 

Privacy Policy

Website Created by ShoeSchool Communications

© Copyright 1981 - Present. ShoeSchool.com. All Rights Reserved.